Toxic garden mulch from cocoa husks

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Target, Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They can eat this and die.
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.  Continue reading Toxic garden mulch from cocoa husks

poisonous plants listing

Seek veterinary assistance if you think your dog ate any of these plants and/or is experiencing the following symptoms: Continue reading poisonous plants listing

Rattlesnake antivenin

When determining the dosage of antivenin, the victim’s size should be considered because the median lethal dose of venom is based on the milligrams of venom injected and the victim’s weight in kg. Therefore, smaller animals may require larger doses of antivenin. Continue reading Rattlesnake antivenin

Rodenticides; rat poison

PDF file of various rodenticides (rat poisons) , their mechanism of action, how to calculate the dose the dog may have received by eating the poison, clinical signs, diagnosis and treatment . . . → Read More: Rodenticides; rat poison

Poisonous & medicinal plants

Poisonous & Medicinal plants link:

http://avc.upei.ca/plants_types

Poisonous . . . → Read More: Poisonous & medicinal plants

Rodenticide poisoning

Rat poisons

Rodenticides are the name given to any of the group of toxic substances that are used to kill rodents. They are among the most commonly used pesticides … All rodenticides are a group of compounds that exhibit markedly different toxicities to humans and rodents.
Below are listed the three most common rodenticides used in …homes today and their veterinary treatment regimes and relative toxicity as related to primary and secondary poisoning in dogs and cats:
Continue reading Rodenticide poisoning

Raisin toxicity ; case study

Case History Article by Laurinda Morris, DVM

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.

My patient was a 56 pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM. Continue reading Raisin toxicity ; case study